Saturday 28 December 2019

AHPC X: From MikeW - Young John Churchill at Sander’s Sand Dune (60 Points)



Being of little imagination when embarking on a new challenge - I thought I'd go down the Historical path and start at Sander's Sand Dune.


The requirement being RED!

The young John Churchill
in the Duke of York's livery
So I have done a figure depicting the young John Churchill in the early 1670s, at a time when he was the Duke of York's (future James II) protegee and a time of innocence and valour for both, before the ugly stink of politics turned both their heads...

The figure is from the North Star 1672 range and the Red with Yellow trim livery are the Duke of York's personal colours and yes, there are contemporary images of Churchill in this or a similar style of uniform, which seems to hark back a further 40-50 years, in terms of fashion sense....

Rear view
The figure was part of an eBay (other online auction sites are available) lot I purchased a couple years ago and not used, as I already have a version of this same figure that I'd painted up from the period when Churchill was an officer in the French Regiment d'Anglais - the uniform being much more subdued and based on light greys and blues of that unit.

The figure came undercoated in black - so I went with that - layering on red colour. I wanted the outfit simple but striking, so it is predominantly red, with a white undershirt on show and then the trim you'd expect for the period.

I used washes to build up depth in the colours and the based and varnished the figure in my usual manner.

Another frontal view
On the tabletop, if used, 'Young John Churchill' will bestow a special skill of allowing the unit he is with to re-roll any dice that throws a '1'. Hopefully reflecting what a lucky guy he was to get where he did in life!

Again with a cheeky reading of the rules, I'll be using this as my Challenge Island Entry Fee figure and I have arranged with Curt that this should be made available to a local co-challenger - Grahame - so that we can avoid the complexity and complications of international postal and shipping systems!

Basis this - I think the scoring should be:

5 Points for the 28mm Foot figure.
25 Points for my Entry Fee figure.
30 Points for completing Sander’s Sand Dune.

TOTAL = 5+25+30=60 Points

Having now committed to the Historical Path, I need to figure out what to do to meet the requirements I will now find at Millsy's Millpond - luckily I have some old figures lying around that might just help me out.