Monday 14 March 2022

AHPC XII: From Mike W - 28mm Viking Berserkers

 This post utilises a number of figures from the Warlord Games Ancient British plastic set, I originally got these figures as I thought I could convert several of these into Viking Berserkers. This I successfully did a number of years ago - but never got around to finishing the job, which I have now....

The completed group of Viking Berserkers

I have taken the view that the Viking Berserkers would be a group of guys who could not stomach the discipline needed to stand in a shield wall, thus the dynamic poses offered by this set are a good starting point to represent a group of warriors who would charge dead long into the enemy.

A close view of some of them

There are tales of Berserkers going into battle naked with just their weapons in their hands (Ooh Err!) However I have opted for them being largely bare chested & bare headed, with or without a shield or two weapons. No one really wants to see a a lot of meat and two veg on display! 😀


And another angle

As with most of these dark ages figures - I gave them a sprayed on white undercoat which dried quickly with a good finish and my first stop was to paint in all the flesh on show.

All five of the guys with two weapons and no shield

Next up was a variety of muted blues, greens & brown colours for their clothes before adding in appropriate wood, leather & metalwork. Once dry I used a variety of suitable coloured inks to add shading, I then highlighted with base colours again.

The three guys with a spear and a shield

Each figure was then coated with Matt varnish before being based in my usual manner.

Six of eth guys with bare chests!

The final four guys, one with a cloak