My first post for a couple of weeks, so I need to catch-up on what has come off the workbench! As ever real life has delayed my completion of many of these figures and models - let alone publishing pictures of them....
| 13 x Highland Clansmen, originally I'd hoped to have these ready for our refight of Pinkie (yes I know these are later style highlanders but used as proxies for the real thing!) |
First up is a group of 13 x Highland clansmen, these are Front Rank figures and they have a great level of detail, without over cluttering the models, in my opinion.
The tartan is hand painted and not aimed to be exact representations of the real thing, rather an impression of different plaids to deceive the eye! I don't have the skills or patience to do the real thing!
The use of Army Painter Dark Tone wash helps cover a lot of the gaps in the tartans
and give a dramatic grubby feel to the clansmen.
| Hopefully a good representation of the plaids on the figures, at tabletop level these seem to work well, although under closer scrutiny they do show their gaps! |
Next up is a group of VBCW 28mm figures to be used as 'tokens' in the back of trucks to indicate that they are loaded with troops. These are 28mm 3D printed British WW2 Tank riders from 'Comrades in Arms' (I believe) - via eBay...
There is no intention to represent a 1 for 1 replication of each squad in a truck, just a quick visual indication that the truck is full. I like these figures and may get some more and paint them up as a different faction - we'll see.
I have used cheap Lledo trucks to mount my troops for the VBCW, these can be obtained from eBay at really reasonable prices. Typically, I simply give the vehicles a matt varnish - I don't like the super shiny toy car finish they have straight from th bow. I then add appropriate details where required.
| Same truck, with the occupied 'marker' in place. I think it works well and looks better than an empty truck driving round the table top. |
| Another truck, this time given an 'Army' finish. This vehicle had a non period advertising hoarding on its side - so I simply painted over it... |
Controversially I have opted to base my vehicles for the VBCW, The one above is awaiting its base! Why? Well I think it helps take them one step away from their toy car origins.
The militia are based upon Wargames Atlantic's 28mm Resistance Fighters, two sprues of male fighters and 1 sprue of female fighters. These have been painted up randomly and deliberately left free of any insignia - so they can be deployed on different sides in each scenario.
| The transport for the Holme Valley Militia, again just a matt varnish and some touch-ups as I saw fit. |
It seems Holme Valley is in Yorkshire, so not sure why they might be in Sussex - but lets suspend disbelief for the sake of a good model!
I tried to avoid using obviously German weapons for any of my VBCW figures, although I do allow the odd one to be used, this is to try and give all the figures a definite British feel.
Last is my group of Albertine Royalists, you can see their truck and flag above, I completed a group of 4 or 5 of these but can't remember which ones these are - so there they all are!
| 2 x 9 man 'Albertinies' plus their officer, one section has a Lewis gun. Each section has an NCO with an SMG. |
As previously noted the Albertinies are based upon Warlord Games Zulu Wars British Infantry, the latest group were from a Perry Miniatures frame.
| And the Platoon Captain |
Finally my Schoolboy error! Having photographed the Clansmen's Standard Bearer I have just realised that I have put the flag on upside down. Back to the drawing board and I will print another flag and put it on the correct way round. Just a reminder to double check before adding glue..
| Standard Bearer with the upside down flag of the 2nd Battalion of Lord Ogilvy’s Forfarshire Regiment |
No comments:
New comments are not allowed.