Tuesday 11 June 2013

Diary of William Smythers Esq. - ‘The Hunt Begins’

11th  July 1745
Today is surely that day that one of the greatest adventures I shall ever embark upon began. After the terrible slaughter of the recent sea battle with the French frigates I gave by great cunning and cleverness managed to get myself transferred onto the prizeship ‘Le Dolphine’. The aim of it’s temporary crew is to sail her south to Campbelltown to the naval port there and claim her as a prize for the whole crew.

13th July 1745
I must declare that this vessel is the most notoriously and scandalously cramped and ill willed ship I have ever had the misfortune to sail in. I most admit to being extremely sea sick over the last 24 hours, an ill feeling made worse by the smell of garlic, raw meat and ill living provided by the previous crew.

At last by the end of the day we arrived in Campbelltown and was able to dis-embark this devilish boat.

14th July 1745
I hear that there are plans to send a force to Oban to intercept the Prince, I determine to meet that force outside Oban. I set about arranging transport to Oban and hire a brace of strong fellows to accompany me to that rebellious hole.

17th July 1745
I arrive at Oban and wait on the Loch Lomond road with my companions Archie Cunningham and John Campbell. Loudon’s force of loyal highlanders arrives at about 4 o’clock after the noon.

I might add that they arrived not a moment too soon, as we did spy a large number of swarthy looking fellows loitering in the woods. Young Archie took it upon himself to trespass into the woods to search out the conduct of these fellows and did return some time later with tales so disturbing that I was about to consider a rearguard action and retire back too Campbelltown, however the gallant Loudon arrived  not long after.

18th July 1745
Loudon dispatched out patrols to the near reaches of the area to ascertain the location of the Prince, however, it soon became clear that the man had slipped away quickly, heading North.

19th July 1745
I joined a patrol from Oban that headed north to wards Ft. William. The highland soldiers that we travelled with seemed to be fine strong fellows. Their nature was somewhat rough and unfamiliar to a gentlemen of my standing.

It was noticeable that the further north we travelled away from the security of the town of Oban then more restless those men became, again I was fortunate to be accompanied by my men John & young Archie. Some 5 miles short of Fort William the patrol met a picquet from the Ft William Garrison.

I bade farewell to the highland soldiers and I, John & Archie returned to Fort William on the change of guard.  We are closely followed into the fort by a regiment of Dragoons who have just arrived as re-enforcements.

20th July 1745
It seems we made camp here just in time yesterday, for during the evening there was a great disturbance in the town. It seems word of the prince is common amongst the lower classes of this society and they feel that they have an allegiance to him rather than the true king.

When travelling the area there are many highland gangs roaming the area, it appears they are waiting – for what we do not know.

21st  July 1745
Today Hamilton’s Dragoons pass through Fort William on route to Ft. Augustus. It is rumoured that  the situation there is more tense than even here, though I find that hard to believe. At times we can hear the highlanders singing songs that no true gentleman should repeat in his diary – treasonous, treacherous songs with much course language.

I determine to be brave and follow the Dragoons north to Fort Augustus, a truly dull, sullen place that surprises me much.

23rd  July 1745
Now fully settled at Fort Augustus, the conditions here are too crowded for healthy living. However I do realise that we are at the very frontier of civilisation. Today men of the 57th were set-upon by a horde of highland brigands and forced to retire to the safety of the fort.

A similar situation befell a Dragoon patrol that was also set-up and after some severe scrapping was again forced to return to this camp. The opinion here is that the Highlander is unable or unwilling to attack such a strong emplacement, so at least I can sleep better at night.


21st  July 1745
Word arrives from Fort William that general Cope is expected to arrive their with re-enforcements at any hour. This makes our hearts stronger, soon we will be strong enough to take the fight to these brigands – if they have the courage not to run away from us.

28th  July 1745
A patrol of Dragoons reaches us from Fort William, Cope has arrived and he will proceed here as soon as is convenient.

29th  July 1745
Our salvation has arrived, General Cope and a vast array of soldiers march into the fort. I have not had the pleasure to meet the man before so I made great haste to introduce myself to him.  I must say that he is not the image of the man I had expected. Forthright and bold were expected  but his physical presence makes him seem larger  in person than his reputation would usually tell. His men seem to adore him but he has a ruthless streak and will punish any man who fails him however that means that I am glad he is a leader on our side of this conflict.

30th  July 1745
Today there was a real battle at ‘Torr Dhuin’ and I saw the injured return from the place some 3 miles down the road. It seems they were set upon by armed highlanders and a brisk firefight ensued. When pressed the brigands melted away into the moors.

Worryingly our messenger to Edinburgh returns with news of French and Spanish troops at Stirling, however, general cope would have nothing of it and worzelled the idea that there were any ‘damn foreign troops’ in Scotland other than the Scots themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.