Thursday 14 October 2021

955th Anniversary of the Battle of Hastings

As a nod to the above anniversary I have made the effort to paint a small group of Late Saxons / Anglo-Danes to field against the Norman Invaders.

These metal figures have been kicking around my work bench and drawers for over a year now and it was high time that I got round to painting them. the figures represent a high ranking Earl with some of his personal retinue around him, Housecarls as they are known.

Earl and his Retinue

As usual I had sourced the figures from eBay so do not know the manufacturer of these fine fellows the little guys in cloaks came fully moulded but I had to add weapons to the others. I made one a standard bearer, giving him an old plastic Gripping Beast Saxon Dragon banner instead of a spear.

I gave a steel spear to the chain-mailed guy and added a kite shield, whilst the two guys holding a shield aloft had a round shield and a kite shield added plus a sword and great axe to finish them off.

As usual I undercoated the figures white, leaving the mail and helmets bare metal then proceeded to block in colour as appropriate on their clothes, belts, shields & skin etc.

I gave them a brown ink wash all over except on the bare metal which I gave a light black wash to add contrast. Based and varnished and all within  a couple days elapsed time!


The back line