Monday 17 January 2022

AHPC XII: from Mike W - 28mm Late 17th Century Mounted Cossacks

 These 7 figures are my final instalment for a Late 17th century Cossack force to be used in my Siege of Vienna collection. 

Six Cossacks with their leader to the left.

Over the years I have created 3 other 6 figure units - this brings the collection up to 24 rank and file models, plus a leader.

A view of the Command / Leader model, showing some of the wide range of weapons available to him and his men - not all Cossacks have all or the same weapons, though I did give all a lance.

The figures are based up Gripping Beast's Arab Light Cavalry with a number of suitable bald heads added from various other manufacturers  including Gripping Beast Dark Ages Infantry and Wargames Atlantic Irish (t name a couple) and I believe I've used an old Games Workshop Space Wolf head on the Cossack command figure.

I opted to give this guys a 'Wing' to indicate his leadership position in the unit. My interpretation of what I have read about the period, 'Wings' were not unique to the Hussars, so I have used it as a device to highlight his status.

The leader has also been given a 'feathered wing' as a mark of his rank, something he's maybe seen being used by their allies the Polish Hussars.

The Cossacks - with a variety of bald heads to give them a period look and feel.

As ever the figures are undercoated white and then painted in suitable colours. I used Army Painter Dark Tone dip to fit in with the other figures that I've previously done. All figures are varnished with Windsor & Newton Matt Varnish, unfortunately, the matt varnish has nor cured as matt as I like it. (I'm thinking that the Army Dip may not have been completely dry and has thus reacted with the Matt Varnish).

I gave the Cossacks a wide range of weapons - lance, bow, swords, pistols and muskets to give them an irregular appearance and make them look scary! Controversially, my view is that in reality they were light cavalry with a fearsome reputation but unlikely to be able to stand up to disciplined, heavy cavalry opposition
 
Bases are covered with a fine sand before electrostatic grass is added along with a smattering of tufts.

The whole 24 figure collection, they will form a screen for two mixed brigades of Pancerni and Hussars. The Polish brigades are to be supported by Austrian and German Cuirassier Brigades