Friday 14 June 2024

Show & Tell: Tomb Kings Army

So having just completed a batch of Skeletons for my Tomb Kings Army, I thought I'd get them out in the table to review what needs to be added to 'flesh out' (pun intended) the army.

With the new paints available these days, painting such an army is a joy to complete and so below are my ramblings on the subject....


The Army as it stands now, the eagle eyed viewers will see gaps
 and obvious opportunities to enhance it further.

A unit of 20 sword and shield armed skeletons, with Musician (drummer) and Standard Bearer

So you will see some units armed with black spears, whist others have blue ones. I like to think of the black weapons to be resurrected 'run of the mill' troops, in reality these are my original Warhammer Skeleton Army, dating back to the early 1990s!

These are supplemented by newer figures but over time I'll re-organise more and put all the newer figures into the more 'elite' blue speared units.

You'll also notice many of these older guys have scratch made shields, made out of cardboard, the original figures had a myriad of various shaped shields and I worked to standardise these a couple years back.

A unit of 18 sword armed figures, with Standard Bearer,
the unit is crying out for a champion and a musician to be added

A unit of 35, axe and shield armed skeletons, with Musician and Standard Bearer,
a Champion would be desirable to complete the unit.

Five, Reaper Miniatures, Tomb Guards. I like these figures
but they are pretty hard to get hold of in the UK.

So I'm quite happy to use non Games Workshop figures in my Warhammer Armies, availability and expense of some of these little guys, often make them less attractive than the alternatives on sale. Given the scarcity of the Reaper figures in the UK, I may need to rethink how I build the Tomb Guard unit.

Two fabulous Reaper High Priests, the woman on the right has a Baboon familiar.

Four Mummies, currently no place in the OldWorld Warhammer Fantasy setting,
these guys are old plastic GW Heroquest figures.

I might use these Mummies as Unit champions, maybe looking to source some more and add weapons and shields to the figures.

A venerable, GW metal Tomb King / Tomb Prince. Currently the Army commander

An equally old Tomb King Liche Priest

If I modernise this army further it would n make sense to mount my Army Commander and Liche  Priest on a suitable beast or Chariot. I'm not a great fan of all the monstrous constructs available to a Tomb Kings army, I'd prefer to field masses of skeletons instead.

Two units of Archers,as can be seen, I'm missing a musician for one of these units

5 axe and shield armed skeletons, the basis of a Skirmisher unit in the future.

Another unit of black speared skeletons, 30 figures strong,
with standard bearer and musician

Another 30 strong Spear an shield skeleton unit.

Blue spear unit of skeletons, 18 strong,
clearly awaiting additional figures to make up their numbers!

So a number of these units still need additional work on them - many of my armies are works in progrees.

19 Spear armed skeletons, with Standard Bearer and musician,
these guys need shields to be added. 

My single Ushabi figure, I need to source two more,
GW ones are ludicrously expensive so I'll look for alternatives

Then my single Chariot, I need to find the other two I have been threatening to
build over the past few years, this kit dates back to the early 2000s.

I have quite a few cavalry figures, again dating back to the 1990s, I converted these to be Tomb Kings a while back. The spear armed troopers below all have Bedouin head scarves (From Gripping Beast Arab figures) - to replace missing heads and inappropriate original headgear but it gives the unit a distinctive look.

10 Thrusting Spear / Lance Armed Horse, with champion and standard bearer

First of two units of 5 strong horsemen, armed with javelins

Second unit of javelin armed horsemen

Two horsemen with standards, clearly scope for additional cavalry
to be added or possible to be used as Army Standards

A few spare odds and ends figures 

No comments: