Monday 9 September 2024

Huzzah! More 28mm Landschneckts - Finally!

After being distracted by hordes of Savage Orcs for the last few weeks I decided I needed to concentrate and continue getting through my backlog of Warlord Games Landschneckt Misslemen! To which end, I am pleased to present another twelve completed Handgunners

Completed batch of Handgunners

Remaining are 18 more figures, I plan to build six of these as Crossbow men with the other twelve to bolster the Handgunners. This gives me the ability to field a small crossbow unit but keep focus on the gunpower side of things - modern is best!

Once done I can then switch attention to the Wargames Atlantic Conquisterdors and build those figures ready to paint!

Close-up of three handgunners in a firing stance

Figures were undercoated in cream acrylic paint and then flesh, shirts and feathers painted white, before using GW Darkoath Flesh to - well colour in the flesh areas. Next, I used a range of GW contrast paints to paint in all the leatherwork, my image of these tough mercenary soldiers is that they'd likely use a lot of practical leather jerkins in the field to give durability but highlight these with their flamboyant cloth apparel in the form of hose, sleeves and hats etc.

The other three firing figures, the guy in the middle is one of my favourites in the batch

Once the leatherwork was done it wasa a case of going through these little guys one by one adding random colours in the form of stripes, quarters of halved sleeves and hose. 

With the rear rank brought forwards

Once the base coats where completed I used a watered down Army Painter Dark Wash to add shade and definition to each figure - it also coveres a myriad of painting mistakes and helps tie all the figuires together!
And a close-up of four of the rear rank

Next step was to add highlights, to cloth and flesh, reapplying base colours in strategic places to make the colours pop! Also tidying up any omited areas etc before a good matt varnish.

THe last few Handgunners, supe rpleased with the two left hand figures

Figures are based in my usual manner with fine sand, electrostaic grass and brown household emulsion / PVA glue gloop.

Now to be clear I still have a whole bunch of Orcs on the go, question now is where will my focus go!

No comments: