Friday 9 October 2020

Off tHe Workbench - 28mm Polish Winged Hussars

One of the maxims of wargaming is that you can never have enough Heavy Cavalry on the tabletop, so over the past few years  I have been keeping an eye out to add to my collection of 28mm Polish Winged Hussars.

Prior to this batch of ten figures, I had four units each of six figures, plus a number of officer types. Add to that a similar number of Polish Pancari Cavalry, it already makes for quite an impressive sight.

I recently spotted a lot on eBay for some Winged Hussars from an unnamed manufacturer but one that I knew I did not have any figures from in my collection, I acquired the figures....

... and here they are, painted!

The lot was for eight hussars and I had two left over Warlord Games Hussars from previous lots. So I merged them together with a bit of mix 'n' match.

Figures were all undercoated white and then their robes built-up in various bold colours - red, blue. green - primarily. Copious amounts of bling were added to the men and horses. For most of these figures the metal horses where cast in two halves, joining the halves together and making good the 'seems' was the hardest part of the build.


Three Winged Hussars, middle figure is Warlord Games on an unknown manufacturer's horse.


Another three Hussars, the guy in Light blue carries a pistol



Another view of the first three Hussars.

As well as coming in two halves, this mystery manufacturer was utilising slotta-bases, which were not consistent with the rest of my collection, so I had to resort to supergluing the horses to bases and then building up some ground work to cover the additional lead on display.

For this I resorted to my favourite filling medium - BluTack! Easy to get hold of, easy to mould into place and instantly hardened by a covering of superglue.


Two Hussars, one with two wings, the other with just one.
Single winged Hussar carries a national flag.



Another view of the same Hussars

The Polish Winged Hussars seemed to have a large number of musicians with them, trumpeters and Drummers, these two trumpeters are from different sources. The guy in green is a Warlord Games figure on what I think is a Warlord Games horse.

The other guy, in blue, is from he mystery manufacturer, as is his horse.


Warloard Games Trumpeter in Green

The Warlord's Games figure was noticeably smaller than the other one, I disguised this by raising the base of the Warlord Games figure.

The other side of the Trumpeters