Thursday 29 April 2021

Oldhammer Skeleton Plague Cart

I was browsing through eBay the other day - as you do - and I stumbled across an old Warhammer Fantasy model - the Undead Plague Cart. What caught my eye the most was the price being asked for the instances that were there, anything form £49 - £70.

Full details of the model ad how it could be used in Warhammer,
taken from an old White Dwarf Magazine

I was flabbergasted!

What was even more interesting was that I knew I had a copy of this model in a box not far from my workbench - as I have been painting and completing my recent Egyptian Undead Army, so I dug out the model.

Given that I remember paying only a couple of quid for my model some 30+ years ago, I did a little research n the internet and found the following...

Confirmation that the model originally sold for £2.50 in 1989.

Sadly I messed up on the photo of the model in the state that I found it - needless to say it was unbased and the skeletons (human and bovine) were in a gaudy red wash finish. It needed repainting badly!

Also the wheels were literally hanging off the model...

...So I broke it up and drilled out holes to make a new axle for the wheels. I painted the bones with 'Screaming Skull' paint and allowed to dry, the driver was painted in a dark grey and the Cart its-self with a Khaki / Earth finish. 

The renovated Plague Cart, an hour or so work painting and basing and a day's lapsed time...

When dry I gave the bones a Mid-Brown / Dark one wash, the driver's cowl was given a think Nuln Oil wash and the cart and wooden parts took a mid brown wash.


A view of the model from the front - high lightimg the cowled driver

Once all the washes were dry the model was glued together and to the base, the given a matt varnish finish, the base was then finished with fine sand and then static grass was applied and grass tufts added to taste.

The Grizzly bit, contents of the cart


I then put the model onto eBay with an initial bid price of £43.75 and sat back to wait and see what would happen!


Final Model view