Wednesday 10 June 2020

Self Hibernation Campaign - The Great Contest: South of the Orange Plank Road


A letter home to Mother and Father

May the 6th 1864 

Dear Mother and Father 
I trust that you are both well. Once more I have permitted to seat myself down for the intention of writing you a few lines. Whether I will be able to send it through or not, I cannot tell. We have been out of our winter quarters some weeks and I have been in battle for two days. I expect that you will read all about it in the papers: that the result of the Great Contest has so far been in Southern Favour.

Today is the end of 6th and was one of the hardest fights ever was known on this continent.  It beats Gettysburg or Sharpsburg or Manassas or anything else that Green’s Division have been involved in. Once again, our brigade has been very lucky. For two days running we have repelled the Yankee assaults. On both days we have held the southern redoubt without a single regiment retiring.

Though I am without injury, our General William Pickton has gone to his earths bath. Our cousin Dec is wounded very bad. The boys don’t think Dec will live.   He had the flesh shot off of his hip and he has also lost one of his toes. I inquired after our neighbour’s boy: Peter Gordon.  One of the men in his company told me he was wounded through the right arm and foot on the first day of battle repulsing the Union 3rd Brigade. After amputation they sent him to Richmond in the big wagons that General Green’s divisional cavalry borrowed from these Yankee’s.  

Until the next time, your loving son, Johnathan”