Thursday 15 June 2023

Off the Workbench: Salute models and others

Finished figure - a good looking Jarl for the Viking Army

Nigel was kind enough to give me two of the Salute models (from 2020 & 2023) to bring home and paint, here are the results!

The 2023 figure has been put onto a round mdf base so that it can be integrated into my Viking army, as such he will be representing a Viking Jarl, who is celebrating a successful raid, having looted what appears to be a local King's treasure chest.
The blinged-up Jarl. A horn of foaming ale,
a King's crown and  other looted treasures

I opted t give this portly guys a red tunic, arguably he could have been bare chested but I went for the big colour splash for dramatic effect. The fur cloak was done using, rather aptly,   Citadel 'Ogre Grunta Fur', the lining and belts were rendered in a buff colour to represent natural leather.

With Green trousers and brown calf bindings and boots the figure was nearly complete

Rear view, Speed Paints make doing these type of fur cloaks so easy these days.
No more dry-brushing required!

I finished it off with Oily Steel for the weapons, lashings of gold bling and then some appropriate washes to at depth an shading.

The second Salute figure was a small boy, playing with a toy Spitfire, as he runs across an bomb-site, this was from 2020. 

I'm quite pleased with the outcome, 

I opted for a light grey school uniform, trimmed in maroon. As usual I did a white undercoat and then used a mixed white / black speed paint to do the uniform and regular paints to do the flesh. I then highlighted the uniform with Ash Grey and spent some time on the model aeroplane and the rubble base to finish t off.

Rear view.

Next up is an old Night Goblin standard bearer that I found in my drawers, painted it up and it turned out OK, another model to add to the Goblin Hordes!

I was always a sucker for the toadstools on the Night Golblin figures

Finally, again on the Warhammer theme is an old Empire Huntsman, that I found lying around. I added a head from the Wargames Atlantic Conquistador set and then gave him a couple pistols.

The Wargames Atlantic Head seems to fit in well with the Games Workshop body.

Shame I sold my Empire Army on eBay a month or so ago!

Rear view.



No comments: