Thursday 8 June 2023

Off the Workbench: Gladiator and Marian Wars Scots Horse

28mm 3D printed Gladiator

As advertised last week, I have been working on a couple of figures as I've been easing myself back into painting again after a bit of a lay off as I set-up our ongoing 'To Topple a King' ECW campaign.

First up is a figure of a Gladiator that is actually a 28mm 3D print. I don't remember the manufacturer but it turned out to be a joy to paint.

Mostly rendered in Speed Paints

I used Army Painter flesh for the skin tones and then regular acrylic metalics for the steel & brass weapons and armour, the rest of the figure was completed with Speed / Contrast Paints over the white undercoat.

The skin was then given a Flesh Wash to add shading & toning and the weapons and armour also got an ink wash for the same reason!

Based on an mdf 'penny' which was painted with my pot of brown gloop and then sand applied before a turf of dried grass added to finish it off.

Next up are three Scots Horse from the Marian Wars period but who could be used for most Tudor and later games, in my opinion.

The riders are metal figures i just found in the spares box and so I acquired some Wargames Atlantic horses and mounted the figures accordingly. The initial fix was not great but by adding paper saddle cloths and using putty to make some additional blanket rolls etc they worked out well.

As well as Wargames Atlantic Horses being used,
I pressed into service three small shields from their Conquistador range.

Undercoated in white, I used the same approach as above for these guys, Speed Paint working really well for a quick, shaded horse flesh finish. Flesh & metalics were again regular acrylics as were the horse's saddlery, reins etc.

The sword hand came from an Oathmark 'Human Infantry' plastic boxed set and allows me to create another command figure.

A good view of some of the additional blanket rolls / bags added to the horse to help make the metal figure fit better

If all goes well I'll look to get these two figures completed in the coming week, thanks to Nigel for donating these Salute figures 

As you would expect the left hand figure will be destined for the Viking collection, the model of the young lad will need to find a deserving home!

No comments: