Tuesday 6 August 2024

28mm Landsknechts

It seems like a while since my last post, this last week I have been busy painting a group of 18 Landsknechts to suppliment my growing Renaissance collection. These little guys are 28mm Warlord Games plastic pikemen and Double-handed Swordsmen, plus a spare Hand Gunner

The eleven man pike block, all suitably different in appearance to each other!

I undercoated all these figures in a generic cream acrylic paint (Hobbycraft own brand) and when dry, I painted faces, hands and shirts white, using my favourite Vallejo white paint - its nice and smooth and gives a great coverage.

Once undercoating was done, I proceded to paint in the pikes, using Game Colour Pale Yellow, before doing all exposed skin using GW Darkoath Flesh.

A close-up of the second rank of pikemen

I then used a selection od Speed / Contract paints to 'colour in' all leather jerkins, shoes etc and then turned to GW Goregrunter Fur to paint the musket and sword handles etc.

A variety of colours were used, as randomly as possible, to 'dress' the figures in their flamboyant clothes, before using GW  Leadbelcher to do all the armour and other metal work.

And the rear rank of three pikemen

I allowed the figures to dry overnight before giving each figure a watered down Army Painter Dark Tone wash, this acted nicely to add definition to all the figure's coat sleeves, fancy decoratations etc, without having to spend ages getting the colour seperation perfect.

Three of the two handed swords men

I then spent some time going over and highlighting many of the colours to add further depth, particularly the white, red, blue, yellow and green. 

The lone Musketeer, left,  and the remaining three two-handed swords men

A coat of Matt Varnish was then applied and the figures which were then based in my usual way with fine sand and electrostatic grass.

Next, I have a box of 30 x Warlord Landsknecht missle men (Musketeer & Crossbow) plus a sprue of six leftover two-handed swordsmen to complete from my pile of shame. Whatch here for how I progress on these! 😀

No comments: