Wednesday 27 May 2020

Lunchtime Time Lapse Experiment


So I am often asked how can I paint s quickly and in such volumes, just practice is my usual reply but that often gets met with disbelieving shrugs  that suggest I'm making it up and  do spend more time than I say on figure painting.

So by way of an experiment and prompted by John getting into painting some 28mm Hoka Hey Elizabethans, I thought I'd time myself in painting a single figure.

Now, as a caveat,  was trying to do this quickly, I picked a simple figure to paint - a lowly billman and I knew the colour scheme would be simple and there are few details to add - all of which take time.

Another factor in my favour it is really hit at present and so any acrylic paint I use, dries very quickly, it was sometimes drying on my brushes!

The final change to normal was the use of Army Painter 'Dark Tone' Wash instead of Dip, the was dries in minutes the Dip takes 24 hours +.

That said this lunchtime I launched my 28mm challenge, here are the results....

12:36pm. So during my lunch-break today,  I had a bright idea!
I super-glued a figure to a penny and undercoated it in white paint

12:38pm. painted hands and face in flesh colour.

12:40pm. painted shirt in unbleached cotton colour
12:43pm. With the flesh areas now dry I was able to paint the Billhook pole.

12:45pm. Added brown trousers
12:50pm. Added Vallejo 'Oily Steel' to bill blade, breast plate and helmet.
Now this metalic paint was super fast in drying and clogged my brush...
12:57pm. Added Leather work for Shoes, Breast Plate straps
and Sword Scabbard, then left to dry for an hour.
13:50pm. Added an Army Painter 'Dark Tone' Ink Wash, left o dry for 30 mins.
14:30pm. So I managed to messed-up taking a photo at about 14:20,
where I applied the matt varnish to the figure.
My Bad!
But here the figure has just been based with sand and electrostatic grass.

 OK , so not the greatest figure of all times but when dried I added on a couple of buckles using a metalic marker pen, job done.

Elapsed time was just under 2 hours, with a burst of actual painting at start of 21 minutes fr a single figure - this also included time for me to faff about with camera to take the photos. Then an hour and a half drying time and a few minutes to apply wash, varnish and add a base.