Monday 15 June 2020

Siege Equipment Construction

By Steve Cast.

Before we get onto the photos the thing that inspired me to do this was the picture below that I came across of the siege of sterling castle in 1307. Now, I thought, if I can create something like that wouldn’t it be brilliant. However, it’s not going to be on the same scale because I’ll have to leave at least a 1’ x 1’ square to play the game on!


First pics are of the siege tower, now resplendent in its protective water drenched hides to stop those dastardly defenders from setting it alight. The diorama I’m going to make is going to be similar to the picture below with a wooden roadway preceding the tower.


In most of the books I have siege towers seem to have been moved on a planked roadway and as this picture depicts pulled along by oxen to a certain point. This would make sense considering that a siege tower is probably not the most stable of objects and one small pot hole or bit of uneven ground could have sent it toppling over and months of work would have been wasted let alone having to face the jeers from the enemy garrison as it came crashing down into a pile of splinters.



Next up is the breached wall. This is okay but could have been better and if I had a spare piece of wall I would have done it again having learnt from my mistakes. Now, I know I’m going to be a bit anal about this but what I don’t like about it is the fact that you can see where I cut out the resin wall to make the breach and also that the crenellations don’t line up.

Yup I know picky picky picky but I’d do it again. Top right is of the front, top left the back and the bottom is a top view



 Next up is the carpenter’s scene. This really is in the concept stage as you can see. This pic is an overall view. Small bit of woodland being chopped down by whatever medieval lumberjacks were called in the top right corner, the bit to the right of this with the green blob will depict the trees being stripped of their branches, the bit between the green blob and green card will be a horse dragging a tree to the saw pit, the green card holds the saw pit, the blobs to the top left of the card are the carpenters cutting the sawn trees into usable parts and the silver blob is a trebuchet brought from Irregular miniatures that will unceremoniously be cut to shreds to represent a trebuchet under construction with figures all over it plus scaffolding. All I need now is for Baccus to reopen its web site to new orders so I can buy some half decent carts.






Well lads that’s about it for the moment.