Friday 14 August 2020

Even More Border Ruffians - Irish Hired Help #4 and new Reivers

Well I have worked a small window in to my free time to complete some figures I had been on my workbench and I also found time to start work on some more additions to the Elizabethan Collections...

So the bulk of the figures completed this week are actually reworks of old models I purchased from Steve Cast many years ago, you saw some of these previously and you may remember that they were originally part of my Wars of the Rose collection.

More reworks of Steve's old figures

Anyway, these have now been rebased and repainted, converting them from consolidated bases of five figures into individual figures on 20mm disk bases.

I have additionally ensured that the base colours on the figures all tie into the rest of my Elizabethan Irish collection - in essence the yellowing cloth colour is being standardised to the old Citadel 'Bubonic Brown' tone.

Two right hand figures have had highlights to their coloured tunics,
all have had their base colour standardised

I've mixed in varied hair colours and added some detail to some of the tunics that the little fellas are wearing as illustrations I have seen show they were highlighted in white.

Individual bases and more variation to hair colours, two figures to the left are Gallowglass

One of the figures is a standard bearer and I have to make up a flag for him. Another of the players is a mounted leader.

Mounted Irish Leader

So, along with the original figures sourced from Steve are another two Wargames Atlantic plastic Irishmen, these have been made pretty much out of the box. One armed with a shield and Shillelagh (wooden club) whilst the other has a shield, sword, spear and helmet. the helmet is from the Gripping Beast Saxons Box - he's obviously a wealthier warrior! 

Wargames Atlantic plastic figures

Finally is a preview of the next batch of figures I'll be working on, 50/50 Wargames Foundry and Dixons.

The Wargames foundry figures are from their Elizabethan and Sea Dog ranges, previously discussed here - nice characterful, chunky figures.

The Foundry figures purchased from eBay

The Dixons figures are from their '28mm Flodden' range, very nice figures indeed, however, I suspect these are a re-branding of their old 28mm range and as such are smaller than most others in the collection. 

They are more comparable with the Perry's figures I have for the Irish than the Wargames Foundry figures.

Dixons figures, Pikemen, Billhooks and a Highlander, fabulously detailed
and proportioned figures but 25mm, not 28mm in my opinion.

That said as there are only a few they may well fit in OK when fully painted.

The figures are Scots Infantry from Flodden, plus a gun and crew. Every Reiver family should have have a 'Little Friend' to say hello to, a la Al Pachino in Scarface!

Say Hello Boys!