Monday 1 March 2021

AHPC XI: From Mike W, Late 17th Century Janissary Infantry Orta

 Well a couple of days later than planned here are the Janissaries that were beaten to the post by my last post containing Orc Big Boyz!

New Siege of Vienna Ottoman Janissary Orta, 28 figures strong!

I got these guys from an eBay lot that contained a box of Warlord figures, several blister packs and a three 'toy' tents that were advertised as being potential 28mm after a bit of work.

Command stand plus flanking Musketeer bases

You saw the contents of one of eth blister packs earlier in the challenge when I painted up the Janissary Cooking Pot, and you may have seen one of eth tents in background shots of other figures I have been painting. I was hoping to find some suitable bespoke Ottoman Guards figures to stand outside the tent but it wasn't to be!

Mixed Musketeer, Swordsmen and Pole Arm bases


Anyway it'll look good as part of the Ottoman Head Quarters camp when I get the others done.

So as with the rest of my collection, this Orta will consist of 7 bases of 4 figures, with a mixture of guys armed with Firearms and Hand / Pole weapons - to give a feel that these are indeed ferocious fighters with multiple ways inflicting damage, either at range or close-up.

Two more bases of Janissaries

As ever they are undercoated white and then I applied a Veilejo 'Flat Red' colour for the coats, I opted for a bright, light green for the trouser leggings and a lining of white and plain linen for the under vests etc.

I then added flesh and leather for equipment before adding details in Gold and silver. I opted to give the coats yellow lacing with silver buttons as it looked better to my eyes than gold on yellow. 

Final pair of Janissary bases

I think I've said before that modern thinking is that the Janissaries did not have 'uniforms' on campaign but I began my collection in this manner and that's how these were done. I have done the irregulars in much more muted and varied colours.

Close-up of a musketeer stand

Various coloured washes were applied and then a cot f matt varnish to protect eth figures.

Basing was fine sand, then electrostatic grass and tufts to taste!

The command base, two officers, musician and Standard bearer

The two mounted Ottoman Officers were done in much they same way, they have differing colours in their uniforms but I opted to give one a leather coat - as with the officers in the Janissary unit - maybe reflecting the colder climate they were operating in versus the one they were used to at home.

First Officer, with a gabion on the base giving a nod to the Siege positions

Second Officer

The tent is made of soft plastic and is some sort of 'cheap' toy to go with what I'm guessing to be 54mm figures, I cut it down and then attached to a 100mm round base and painted in raw linen with burgundy type trim. I believe the HQ tent at Vienna was famously red, so I'll do another the same colour as this one and reverse the colours to give a ten suitable for a Sultan - maybe another post coming on this!

Head Quarters tent with Guardsman