Monday 27 December 2021

AHPC XII: From Mike W - 28mm Scots Covenantors

 For my second post of the day I have just finished a unit of 24 x Scots Covenantors, which in use for both ECW games and as an opposition to English later 17th Century Armies in the period known as the 'Killing Times'. See a couple of my post on our club website covering Rullion Green & Bothwell Brig <here>. I also have to declare an interest here as my family were themselves covenantors - back in the day!

Completed unit, minus command element! Dour Scots Covenantors!

Before I go any further a big thank-you to Curt for sorting out my tech issues preventing me posting earlier - and thanks to Peter for dealing with two posts in a day, as I catch-up!

One of the Musketeer wings form the unit, I tend to use figures in stands of four 

but allow individual figures as well to allow for various scenarios


So these little guys are Warlord Games plastics and the more astute amongst you will have immediately noticed that there are no command figures in this group. I have a second batch of Covenantors on the workbench that do have command figures for both that unit and this one! I built these units from an old battalion box of figures I had and found that there were no command figures in the box - so I had to acquire some new ones via eBay and they arrived too late for the challenge's kick-off....

So breaking with tradition - I undercoated these guys in grey but then as soon was appropriate - I then painted hands and faces in white.


The other Musketeer Wing, my OCD will be soothed when the next unit is completed and the back ranks of both musketeer wings will have matching poses, as I will mix & match the figures accordingly

Various coloured trousers were added and then the gutsy work of painting in bandoliers, straps and pouches was undertaken, mostly in a natural leather colour but with some variation in bags etc. Socks, shoes and bonnets were then base coated and then flesh and hair was added in.

The Pike block, for post ECW conflicts the pikes would have been substituted for a variety of pole arms, from agricultural tools to Lochinvar axes etc

Details were added to give the swords, muskets and pikes plus splashes of colour on the bonnets (green sprigs), garters (red to give a sense of unit cohesion) and power apostles (sky blue, as this is a popping colour in an otherwise dour unit).