Wednesday 21 February 2024

AHPC XIV: From GrahameH - More 15mm Cold War Battlegroups

 In a previous post I showed my US Cold War Battlegroup (BG) which I had finished and was then hoping to get some other non-completed NATO BGs completed without getting distracted. So in order to give myself a little encouragement I listened to the "Team Yankee" book. All was going well until they described the attempt by a US Armoured Cavalry Squadron to act as a speed bump in the face of the Warsaw Pact armoured advance. Spoiler - it didn't go very well for the US. Then the troubled started. "I'd like a Armoured Cavalry Squadron" I said even though it not on my list to do. However, I summoned up all my will power to keep to my original plan, failed and here it is. 

 Its not to big as I left out the artillery battery as it the same as the other US BG. The figures etc are all 15mm Battlefront. 


The HQ - MG, Stinger, CO and a M113 (20pts)


Armoured Cavalry Troop

There are 2 of these each consisting of 8 men and a M113 ACAV. (24pts x 2 = 48pts)


Support

M113 ACAV for the Recce Unit and 1 M106 with a 120mm mortar. (16pts and 4 for the mortar crew (20pts)


Two Armoured Cavalry Tank Troops (Each of 2 M60s) (32pts)

So the US Armoured Cavalry Squadron = 120pts 

Then I thought I wonder if I could add a US Air Assault BG. I have a Russian one and a British one. 

Never really sticking to a painting plan due to my butterfly issues, here is my US Air Assault BG.


A A10 Warthog, a AH-1 Cobra and 2 Chinooks (32pts) (the Cobra is Battlefront, the Chinooks are 3D printed and I have no idea where the A10 came from. 


The Ground Forces 


HQ and the 3 Infantry Companies 

This was before the entry of the Humvees so most of the transport is Mutt 151 jeeps (From Army Bits) 

(2 vehicles and 34 figures, including crew for the jeeps) = 84pts


Support Company - M151 with TOW (2 vehicles and 6 crew) = 28pts


Recce Platoon - M151 and 7 figures (22 pts)


Airborne Tank Sqn - 3 X M551 Sheridans (Army Bits). Apparently the 82nd kept their Sheridans during this time period. (24Pts)


The Artillery Battery (2 Guns, 3Vehicles and 12 figures) = 56pts (all Army Bits who make some wonderful US Infantry) I think the guns are a bit late for 1984 but they will do. 

So that the US Airborne BG at 246 Pts. 

Right back to the Plan

West German BG 


West German BG (most of the infantry was already painted so just the vehicles)


HQ and two Sqns of Leopards (7 vehicles) 56pts - Battlefront


Leopard Recovery Vehicle (8pts) (Army Bits)


4 Marder 1s for the HQ, if not an armoured BG and three Infantry Coys (Battlefront) (32pts)


Second Part of the West German BG.


The Artillery Battery - 2 X M109s and a M113 FO (Battlefront) (24pts)


Support Company - 2 M113 (for the Milan Teams) and a M106 with 120mm Mortar - 2 crew. (28pts)


AA Platoon - a Roland (this was suppose to be a Gepard, but that model has been drafted into the Dutch BG) (8pts)


Recce Plt - a Luchs (8pts)

Any then the Butterfly Syndrome hit again 😒

West German Fallschirmjager BG




AT Company - 2 Wiesels with TOW and 2 with 20mm *Butler 3d printing) (32pts)

Pts = 112pts

I need 5 KraKa transport for this unit. These are little go-kart things but I can't find any in 15mm. Anyone know of anyone who produces these please let me know?

No comments: