Monday 12 February 2024

AHPC XIV: Mike W - Bretonnians, Tau & Orcs plus a little more Skulls, Squirrel & Maritime

 In celebration of the recent release of Warhammer: The Old World, I have dug out a small batch of Bretonnian archers to get painted up. Back in the day I had a reasonably big Bretonnian army, mostly classic Archers and Knights, with the release of the new Old World Starter pack of Bretonnians and Tomb Kings, I thought that these figures had finally reached the time that they should be finished.

Six Bretonnian peasant Archers, painted up in the classic Blue & Red livery

On the left is a musician, with a rather large horn!
Note the triangle of white circles on the archer's mini shields

Each of these guys has some kind of quilted leather jerkin
and Blue & Red robes to denote their loyalties.Central guy
seems to have some kind of purity seal on his bow.

So for some reason, twenty odd years ago I had undercoated these guys in dark brown! Thinking about it I read an article in Red Dwarf suggeting that this was a good option to give these peasants a distinctive look. Having undercoated them, my attention was obviously taken elsewhere as they have not seen a lick of paint until this last week.

The other three guys, on the right is a guy that is wearing monk's robes
but stands in the line with the other archers in the unit.

I painted over much of the brown undercoat with a 'Linen' coloured paint and then used browns to add in all the leather armour and decided on a classic Red and Blue colour scheme for these guys. I used Army Painter Speed Paints in Red & Blue to do much of the cloth on these figures. I then added detail as I went and opted for three white circles on each shield to unify the group into a single unit, no doubt a retinue of a knight who has a similar heraldry to the mini shields on these figures. I highlighted as best I could and they were pretty much done.

Last shot, guy on left has a linen cap over his hair,
believe these were commonly worn under helmets for added padding.

I'll have to see if I have any Knights kicking around my drawers and boxes to add to this humble beginnings of an army.

Another week, another batch of Tau! In completing this latest batch I have just realised that I am approaching the end of my stock of pre-built Tau figures! I have one remaining Crisis Suit figure built and ready to be completed. I'm now going to have to waste valuable painting time and spend this time building more squad members - this happens every year so I'm only surprised that I'm surprised...

Latest Tau squad with accompanying Gun Drone and Force Field marker.

Luckily I'm working a week in arrears regarding my posts as opposed to actual painting and building...

and another view...

...Anyway that problem is for next week - today I have 11 x Tau Warriors, a drone and another Defence Force Field marker. All prepared and painted in my ongoing Tau style, namely white with random Orange panels. Again we have a Tau Infantry squad, with a Squad Leader on his Comm device, a Rail Gunner and nine regular warriors - including one Gue'Vesa.

Rail Gunner on the right, a guy with a combi-weapon center and carbine on left

The Drone is an armed Gun Drone, capable of fighting in the line with the rest of the squad or being sent out on 'point' duty and take the risks that living Tau might not want to take...

For guys with long weapons

A group with combi-weapons, squad leader with comms device in hand is second from right.
A Gue'Vesa, human helper, is second from left.

Gun Drone left and Defensive Force Field Marker on right

Moving on, this week's Orc batch is a regiment of these greenskin guys with two hand weapons plus associated standard bearer and musician. Additionally there is a mounted Boar rider and a couple of spare musicians that will be integrated elsewhere into my collection.

17 x Orc Warriors, including standard bearer and musician

Another view

One of the down sides of collecting figures via eBay is that you can't always guarantee if what you get is what you see on the lot photos! This week is a case in point, I have found myself with two drummers and a horn blower all bundled up with the last 4 or 5 lots I have received. Not to worry - I painted them all!😀

Close-up of six Orc Warriors

Five more

And the last 6 orcs

The mounted Orc will joint the small collection of Boar Riders in my army, As a side note, I prefer these older Boar models to their newer ones, and for consistency in the units I have, I avoid getting the newer Boars. I'm sure its just a matter of taste, but a pitfall of having an older collection.

An additional two Orc Drummers

Orc Boar Rider, the tusks on the model were broken when I received it via eBay, luckily I had an old Beastman skull that was cut down and positioned to provide a new lower jaw and tusks for the Boar.

The other side of the Boar Rider

Again I'm coming to the end of my supply of pre-built Orcs, so there may be a pause in the production line as I'm waiting for two Orc & Goblin deliveries to come through to restart this. Maybe, I'll just have to switch to my Lizardmen!

To claim the Maritime Bonus I have completed a Black Seas vessel. Black Seas is a game that really captures my imagination but as yet I have not really made any progress in building a fleet of ships - largely because the detail that I imagine that I would like to see on these models is so far beyond my capabilities.

Black Seas Brig painted in Royal Navy livery.

This Brig as been painted up in classic Royal Navy color scheme with a black and tan hull and red inner walls to the vessel. I have tried some very basic rigging to set it off. I'm pleased with what I have done but disappointingly at what I have achieved is still short of what I have in my imagination. I'll have to come back to this to see what additional detail can be added at a future point - at the moment it is a playable tabletop piece.

Other side of the Brig. Base was painted with GW 'Stegadon Scale Green',
white foam added on and then a Blue Ink Wash.

Maritime Bookself added to visits

No comments: