Thursday 26 March 2020

Self Hibernation Campaign - Summer 1861 - A word from Paul De Krackere

By New York Times Correspondent: Hardy Kenwright


The Iowa ‘Ten Dollars’ Brigade:


On a last night in town before we left Camp, I ran up a bar bill of $9.87 at Madam Cheri Casque’s Fine Wine Emporium.
Unfortunately, having left my wallet in one of my other jackets, the only money I had with me was a $100 dollar bill secured in the back of my note book for use in emergencies. The cashier did not recognise the newly issued government note and referred me to the owner.  Appreciating from the cut of my uniform that I am a man of substance, Madam Cheri was good enough to accept an I.O.U. for $10.00. This I will send via mail just as soon as our march takes me to a town large enough to have a functioning Bank.
I received so much leg pulling from the rest of the Mess that I have adopted this name for my Brigade as a badge of honour.  
Of course, I had to exchange the original note for smaller denominations at the first opportunity but a later example of the same note is shown below as way of illustration.
Paul De Krackere