Friday 15 January 2021

AHPC XI - From Mike W [The Tomb] Mummy King and his Guard

Continuing with my new pet side project of an Egyptian Undead Army, may a present the Mummy King and three of his Guards.

The figures are all from Reaper, the Mummy King being metal, whilst the Guards are plastic of some kind. Detail on the figures is great and it made the painting job seem really easy.


Undercoated Mummy's Guard figures, made of some kind of flexible plastic

I've mounted the figures on British 2p coins and added a desert base - fine sand and a dried grass tuft to give some interest.

The finished figures

As with my other figures, I undercoated these ones white, then did a coat on earth colour to get the base for the 'mummy' look. I dry brushed on light desert sand colour from Valiejo and did the 'fleshy' areas grey.

The Mummy King, dressed in rags & riches!

... and a better front view, I think less is best with dried grass in a desert setting.

I washed the bandages with a watered down brown wash and the fleshy areas with dark tone washes before picking out the bandages again in light sand colour and highlighting the fleshy parts with light grey.

A view of the unfortunate Guardsmen buried for eternity with their king in his TOMB!

Gold trim was added for weapons, shields and headdresses etc and the dark blue / light blue decorative patterns have been kept to give the army a bit of  a theme as it develops - these areas got a bit of a blue wash and the gold trim got a brown wash.

And a front view of the three guardsmen, who happen to come three to a pack!

All finished with matt varnish!

The guardsmen also come with a variant pose with a spear in their hands, although the soft plastic is about OK for these sword wielding guys, if I get some of the spearmen I'll likely replace the spears with metal ones as I hate a bent spear on my figures.