Wednesday 3 February 2021

AHPC XI - From Mike W - [Graveyard Beach] 37 Egyptian Skeletons and Mummy

Third and final post for the day, a couple of units of Undead Egyptian Skeletons accompanied by anoter couple of  character models to lead the rapidly growing army.

I'm taking a liberty here as I'm claiming that the Sahara Desert is in fact a very wide beach! Fact is Egypt does have beaches and I'm sure you can find skeletons there!

The units are from old Games Workshop Skelton figures in my plastic pile, that has been in th eloft since we moved here 14 years ago, some are undercoated (black or white and even a few in grey), some are bare plastic, all very old and increasingly fragile! 

I know there is such a thing as plastic rot and some of these guys are suffering from it - noticeablely - I guess - due to the thin limbs that these models have. they snap off very easily!

Unit of 10 Egyptian Skeleton Archers

The first unit is of 10 archers, all where given a new white undercoat and then washed in a watered down Army Painter Strong Wash. I then dry brushed these with Light Sand and then Skull white to get the effect I was looking for.

Bows and quivers were painted light blue and straps and any head / arm bands dark blue. All metal work including jewellery was painted 'Greedy Gold' and then highlighted where needed with Brass.

Slightly different view, I've added a hint of green to the bases 
here to acknowledge that here was water in Egypt!

Another  light brown wash and figures were based with fine sand and dried grass tufts. I maintained the light blue shield theme, used on my previous submission and ensured shield backs were an aged wood effect.

What I forgot was that the spear shafts on the first unit were black, on these I have gone for light blue...

The second unit of 15 Skeletons was painted in exactly the same manner, the first two ranks wee mostly spearmen and the third rank was made of axemen. I concentrated on the musician, standard bearer and champion to give the unit some focus

15 figure unit of Spearmen and Axe men. Highlighting the Standard Bearer

And from the front



The Command row from the unit

Second Rank Spearmen

Third rank Axemen, I'm not sure own historically accurate it is for 
Egyptians to have axes, but its what I had to hand.

The down side is that I'm now down to my last 10 or so plastic Egyptian shields, these Games Workshop items ae very distinctive looking and help tie all three of the units together.

Unit Champion

I have dozens of plastic skeleton figures waiting to be painted but all with the Old World / Vampire themed shields - I need to source a supply of ancient Egyptian shields from somewhere - if anyone has any ideas on where I can get these relatively cheaply please let me know.


Standard Bearer

One thought I've had is to use these units as the Guard units and then simply get hold of metal or plastic shields from non GW sources and call these future units the Rank & File Units in the Army...

Unit Musician

The two Character figures are also old Warhammer metal figures, one is a skeleton, the other another Mummy. I gave these two a splash of red, the skeleton on his loin cloth, the mummy on the staff that he carries...

Skeleton Lord, I forgot to matt varnish this guy - now done!

From behind...

... just to be a little different but still with the underlying dark / light blue themes. I'm happy wit the loin cloth but I might go back and change the staff to dark blue if I find time.

Mummy Figure, looking suitably dynamic

And again form behind...