Wednesday 29 April 2020

Word from Chancellorsville


From Robert Hope, May 4th, 1863. 

Here is my second report following the action at Chancellorsville, Virginia. The Confederacy were once again assaulted by the Yankee blue devils, on our home soil, but once again our brave defenders showed these arrogant Unionists that they cannot, nor will not, push us around with impunity. 

Gen'l Clayton Recuperating
with a comfy chair
With numerous assaults on our line, our boys held firm, thanks to the brilliant generalship of our leaders, especially that of General's Clayton, Green and Jackson. However, it is my solemn duty to report the demise of our glorious officer, Thomas Jonathan Jackson, known throughout the South as Stonewall. It is not yet clear what happened, but there is a malicious rumour going around that he was shot in error by our own men. It is also reported that General Clayton received a nasty wound, 

I am still awaiting conformation on this, but I am aware that some men are writing to there beloved ones back home in Hazzard to send cushions, or pillows to the general. I know that he is described as a "gentleman of generous proportions", so could these be he needs further support as  I have heard that he won't be sitting down for a time.

I am still with the Hazzard brigade, our boys fought like tigers, we have taken some casualties but morale and spirit is still very high, especially after the recent arrival of Mr Stobbard's wagons. There is a whisper that Colonel Buford Justice has been seen around the wagon park, with an unholstered pistol, muttering to himself 

"Where is that little bastard son of a bitch?" 

but I believe Mr Stobbard left "like a whirlwind "as soon as he saw the Colonel head towards the wagons.

I do not know Lee's next intentions, but I hope the readers will stay enthralled at the glory our Mississippi boys are making.