Monday 27 April 2020

Self Hibernation Campaign - Hugh R. Lying's Diary Extracts


Hugh R. Lying and his diaries

The New York Illustrated News is pleased to be able to publish extracts from Hugh R. Lying's diaries, smuggled out of his detention camp in Virginia and supplied to this journal by the most reputable sources.

The purpose of publishing this poor prisoner's personal diaries is to highlight the impact of the war on our brave Union soldiers.....








Start of 1st Extract 

of war?'
26th March 1863, Day 21
Today I found myself in a field hospital with fever. I was told off by two Irish nuns about my poor hand washing and hygiene practices. I later found out that they had been trained by a women who our English newspapers called "The Lady with the Lamp”.

27th March 1863 Day 22.
I find myself next to a newly enlisted boy with dreams of the glory of war. He has a deep southern accent and keeps on saying: " I don't know what else to tell yeh, except that yeh must never never do no shirking on my account !" or something like that.

28th March 1863 Day 23.
Uncensored, unromanticised, an opportunity to record what…

End of 1st extract
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Start of 2nd extract
I saw sufferers being isolated and their clothes and bedding burnt to prevent contagion.
24th April 1863. Day 50  
With guards, I’ve been allowed to walk around camp again for the first time. Reported improvements of medical care in Union camps falls short of what I have experienced. The incident of fever here appears low. Been reflecting on events of the previous day, and carelessness that might have cost me my life.

25th April 1863. Day 51
Monotonous routines of camp life broken up by the announcement of a free concert by General Green.  The 'Alabama' song is the hit of the moment with these southern boys.

26th April 1863 Day 52
For the last week, engineers from Hecks division have been fully occupied in improving field works. Feeling slightly bad knowing the lads on the front pickets could not brew up because officers had given instructions that fire and smoke would give their positions away.

27th April 1863: Day 53
Reports are reaching us that there has been a severe outbreak of scarlet fever in the Union camp. Spies returning say the numbers of cases and virulence of the infection in the Massachusetts brigade is being played down in the northern press. Whole companies are unable to sleep -  with the cough and fever. Their discoloured skin of pink, freckles and pimples peeling off as if they had bad sunburn.

28th April 1863: Day 54
About mid morning I saw Union forces fire 11 shells. Their artillery was throwing up smoke in the distance.   A tree was…

End of 2nd extract.
..................................................................................