Friday 24 April 2020

Quarantine Challenge: Mounted Elizabethan Border Ruffians

Again real life events and running a PBeM campaign have severely cut into my painting time but I was determined to get these little guys finished this week.

Three Ruffians on Perry's WoR Horses

I got an eBay lot of 16 mounted border reivers a few weeks back and I was looking for suitable horses to mount them on, then I remembered I had a couple of boxes of Perry's War of The Roses mounted figures in the loft.

Unusually for me I glued this English flag in position permanently,
here are two Warlord Pike & Shot Horses Centre & Right

Seems I'd already raided these boxes for horses and between them I managed to source 12 horses, so I then dragged in 4 Warlord Pike & Shot horses to make up the numbers.

One figure came with a moulded on Targe, he makes a good leader figure

I found some bags in my spares box, to add to the horses and also made some extra blanket rolls to add extra clutter to the figures but what I was really looking for was some small 'Targe' shields to add to some of the figures to give them that additional something else.

More usual for me, a Scots flag that can be swapped as needed,
also an example of a saddle holster added to give more period flavour

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any, so maybe later the lockdown I'll look harder and add some of these to the figures...

I like that only two of the figures have muskets, two others have crossbows
and one I added a pistol, as his saddle holster was empty! 

I'm not certain of the manufacturers of these figures, I suspect Wargames Foundry or Hoka Hey as they fit in well with my foot figures for the period.

Another view of some of the figures

So I'm now out of Elizabethan figures to paint, so guessing I'll revert back to Pike & Shot, Siege of Vienna figures. I have an infantry regiment to paint up and I have just found three Ottoman Heavy Cavalry figures to have a go at,,,

I use steel spears / lances on all my 28mm figures and yes, they are sharp!
But I find players give the figures more respect when they know they
can hurt themselves if they mishandle the little guys....
Another random selection of the little guys...

And a final shot, I added swords to a couple of the figures to give variety,
half of them are spear armed.