Monday 27 April 2020

Self Hibernation Campaign - Reverend Al Green

Reverend Al Green pours oil on troubled waters.

By Entertainments Correspondent Daryll Beaderday 

The Reverend Al Green
In these partisan times one man is doing his best to bring harmony back to our fractured land. Crooner, Al Green, has been performing to sell out crowds at the Union Club of the City of New York. He has been the headline act at the popular 21st Street Club for six weeks now with a lively mix of songs both old and new, the current favourite from his repertoire being “Let’s Stay together”

Written whilst in New Orleans during the political turmoil of 1860/61, towards the end of his last season on the Mississippi Riverboat ‘Rose of Tennessee’, the song is an emotional plea for Northern and Southern folks to stop fighting and join together again.

Hostility in Louisiana led Reverend Green to head north, he no-longer felt that family ties would protect him from agitations of the Slavery lobby. 

Happily, Louisiana’s loss is New York’s gain as Al’s show looks set to run and run.

The gift of music and song run deep through Al’s family. His half-brother, Confederate Brigadier General (and Reverend) Hugh I E Green, has also gained a reputation for writing a number of popular ditties in recent years. 

"Let's Stay Together"
Abe, I'm so in love with you
Whatever you want to do
Is alright with me
Cos Union makes me feel so brand new
And I want to spend my life with you

Let me say that Lincoln, baby,
Since we've been together
Loving you forever
Is what I need
Let me be your running mate too
I'll never be untrue

Oh, Abe, let's, let's stay together
One Union together, whether
Times are good or bad, happy or sad

Whether times are good or bad, happy or sad

Why, Davis, why do you wanna break-up
Oh, turn around and make-up
I just can't see
Abe'ld never do that to me
Would you, Abe?
Just being around you is all I see

Here's what I want us to do

Let's, we ought to stay together
One Union together, whether
Times are good or bad, happy or sad
Come on

Let's, let's stay together
One Union together, whether
Times are good or bad, happy or sad